Connecting...

SAP BW Developer - Canberra - Ability to obtain NV Level 1 Clearance

SAP Business Warehouse Developer / SAP System Support Analyst

Location: Canberra, ACT

**MUST BE ABLE TO OBTAIN NV LEVEL 1 CLEARANCE**

 

We require a SAP Business Warehouse (BW) developer with 2+ years of experience to:

  1. Develop SAP BW reports in line with business requirements
  2. Assist and advise in the maintenance of the BW environment
  3. Liaise with business and technical stakeholders to determine requirements and implement BW reports and system changes
  4. Build and maintain good working relationships with staff at Canberra and overseas posts
  5. Contribute to development and maintenance of SAP BW helpcards and procedures
 

The successful candidate will also have 2+ years of SAP Level 1 and Level 2 Helpdesk support experience, and be required to:
 

  1. Work within a Helpdesk team providing SAP system support to client's staff
  2. Support staff in SAP financial functions and processes (FICO module processes)
  3. Identify, prioritise and resolve support requests
  4. Train junior staff members in SAP support analysis methods
  5. Contribute to development and maintenance of Helpdesk procedures
  6. Identify opportunities to improve work and system processes
  7. Track progress and resolution of escalated tickets Supporting management as required with additional activities as they arise
The successful candidate would spend 80% of their time on BW development work, with the remaining 20% on Helpdesk support. This is subject to change based on team workload.


 

Essential criteria
2+ years experience developing and delivering SAP BW reports to specification
2+ years experience providing SAP Level 1 and/or Level 2 system support
Requirements gathering, analysis and documentation experience
Technical knowledge of the SAP and BW/BPC systems
Sound understanding of financial processes such as Bank Reconciliations, Payment Runs and End-of-Month processes Desirable criteria
Experience with Remedy, or a similar service management / ticket logging tool
Knowledge of Change Management processes